Tuesday, February 3, 2009

When I think of a speaker that I admire, I think of my pastor, Pastor Joseph Simmons. He is one of the greatest speakers I have ever herd, and that is why I enjoy going to his church. Personally I think his power to persuade comes from ethos, pathos, and logos. He personal character comes into play when his audience decides if they are going to believe him or not. He is a preacher, so personal character is often taken into consideration. How he acts and how he portrays himself. If he were to come across in a shady manner people would not take him seriously. He can definately arouse emotion. He arouses emotion from the content of his speeches and through the delivery of his speeches. He carefully chooses his wording because he is taken sacred text and interpreting it for his audience. 
I personally think that I use pathos in my ability to persuade. My ability to persuade comes from arousing emotion. I do this through the style of delivery.  
I agree with Aristotle classifications scheme, It works for the speaker that I admire and it also works for me. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nini! What church is Pastor Joseph Simmons from? Do you think that personal character SHOULD be taken into consideration when a person is speaking? If so, when and in what situations? Do you think this is important across the board? The reason I ask is because my students have varying perspectives on this.

    I look forward to reading your posts this week.
    Welcome to Comm 105! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe his personal character should be taken into consideration because actions speak louder than words. He is a Preacher, he is teaching the gospel. How can he lead someone into being one with God if he is not one with God him self. Who he is and his like-ability are taken into consideration by his congregation when they choose wether or not they want to follow him or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor Simmons is from Greater St.Paul Baptist Church

    ReplyDelete